The electric vehicle (EV) landscape is rapidly evolving and the prediction is a total EV adoption by major automotive markets by 2035. Experts say that the excitement of EV push can be sustained only if a precision system is in place that monitors usage and maintenance of EV’s among other things. The big data steps in here. Big Data Analytics helps in the integration of EVs in many ways as in optimized charging or efficient battery management. The analytic insights can pin point improvement areas and efficient solutions.
What is Electric Vehicle
An electric vehicle (EV) works on an electric motor and not an internal combustion engine. Four types of electric vehicles exist and these are:
- Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV): It is powered totally by electricity and is much more efficient than other types of EVs
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV): It’s a hybrid of internal combustion engine (usually petrol based engine) and a battery powered motor powertrain. The internal combustion engine can be used to drive and charge the battery when it becomes empty.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV): It uses internal combustion engine and a battery that can be charged from an external socket. Electricity can be used to charge the vehicle battery.
- Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV): It uses hydrogen fuel cell where electric energy is produced from chemical energy. (TYPES OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES, n.d.)
Electric Vehicles and Big Data Analytics
Big data analytics is used for optimized charging, efficient battery management, EV status tracking etc. Big data makes EV batteries smarter and is used in the following ways:
- Predictive analytics to evaluate battery voltage, temperature and condition
- Connected services like collecting and analyzing driver data to help stakeholders like retailers, car dealerships, and smart cities
- Route optimization through mobile applications and providing information about charging stations
Hyundai Motor Group offers multitude of customized services based on analysis of driving pattern data of its customers. For example Hyundai’s customers get assistance with route search services, range prediction for their EVs. Hi-Charger app provides functions like searching for electric vehicle charging stations, booking charging stations, diagnosing vehicle conditions and optimizing routes according to individual driving patterns. (Data Analysis of Electric Vehicles: For Convenient and Smart Life, n.d.)
Advantages of Electric Vehicle Transportation
Fully electric vehicles do not have any tailpipe emissions and are cleaner for the environment. Following are some of the key advantages of using EVs:
- Android operating systems powered in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) devices which connect with Android Auto smartphone app to deliver dynamic Google Maps-based navigation.
- Latest automobile technology, voice, which is the new HMI (human-machine interface) and enables native language access to connected services through mobile devices.
Future for Electric Vehicles in India
The future automobile technology would see artificial intelligence evolve into EDGE devices such as smartphones built with Neural Processing Unit (NPU) software on chipset (SoC).
It would be ‘mini-brain computers’ to assist intelligent driving and improve safety and security on the road. Blockchain technologies would enable platform solutions to secure user, vehicle, and smartphone data. (The Next Mobile Is the Automobile, 2018)
In an evolving market, decisions-smart & quick matter. At ICFAI Online MBA, you learn many decision making techniques. For more details check our program @https://online.ifheindia.org/
“Few EV chargers compared to more number of vehicles could ruin the EV push in India” Agree? Why?
#onlinembainindia #onlinembaprogram #icfaimba #icfaionlinemba #onlinemba #onlinembadegree #mbadegreeonline #onlinembacourse
- Data Analysis of Electric Vehicles: For Convenient and Smart Life. (n.d.). Hyundai Motor Group Tech. Retrieved November 8, 2022, from